Jenkins was originally founded in 1883 as a supply depot where teams of horses would transport supplies to the logging camps. the railroad line came thru town in 1895 and ran until the 1980's, at which time it was paved and became the Paul Bunyan State Trail. This trail extends for 112 miles and is used for biking, walking and snowmobiling. Jenkins supports a multitude of various businesses and is popular summer vacation destination for visitors. The communicty is now famed as "The Gateway to the Whitefish Chain of Lakes".